Madalena do MarMadalena do Mar is a small village located on the southwest coast of the Island with beautiful sea and cliff views. Its name came from a legendary Polish Prince of the 15th century, Henry Allemão. He lost a battle in 1444 and was given land by João Gonçalves Zarco and established a great-populated farm where he built a chapel dedicated to the Saint Mary Madeleine.
Madalena do Mar is a characteristic fishing village with a beautiful promenade along the pebble beach. It’s location and accompanying climate has helped it to establish the biggest banana plantations on the Island.