Santo da Serra Golf CourseSanto da Serra was where the very first game of golf was played. Golf has been practiced in Madeira since 1933 on the Hotel Pousada da Serra estate. There, 9-holes pars 3 established the golf in Madeira, which in 1935 gave origin of the construction of the Favellas Santo da Serra golf course, whose nine holes were inaugurated in February 25, 1937.
The modern Santo da Serra Golf Club was created in March 11, 1967 and from there, a new and bigger and better Golf course was built.
The exploration of a new Golf course took place in 1988 and on September 30th, 1991 the new course was opened, consisting of three 9-hole courses named Machico, Desertas and Campo Serras, the last of these being opened on 10th of October 1998. The Course is based on a 27-hole design by the famous architect Robert Trent Jones Senior. The Madeira Open PGA European Tour was hosted here for the first time in January 1993.
The Santo da Serra Golf Club is located in one of nature’s most beautiful places offering spectacular views of the coastline and mountains. Today rated as one of the best courses in all of Europe and the home of professional golf tournament The Madeira Island Open hosted every year in March, attracting stars from all over the world.